Friday, January 18, 2008

Ask The Chef

Today's Ask The Chef Comes from Kate...She ask's:

Question...lastnight I was going to make chili with ground turkey ...I pulled some turkey out of the freezer from Oct. of '07. Once it was defrosted it smelled funny to me. I don't know if it was just because it's turkey or if it had gone bad. What are the rules on ground turkey? Do you just go by your nose? Should it have a smell or not? I ended up tossing it because I wasn't sure.
Thanks Chef,
Kate

Hey Kate! :)
When using Turkey, I usually use my nose, but also my sight. Look at the color....if its slightly grayish, toss it, if it smells "off" toss it!Better to be safe than sorry!
But the general rule of thumb for freezing meat is, once you bring it home, unwrap it from its original packaging. Then seal it up into a freezer safe Ziploc bag, and freeze up to two months! I like to write the date I bought it on so that I remember if its good or not! :)

No comments: