Thursday, January 17, 2008

You Grill Girl! : Burgers and Fries

I know sometimes I just want a burger! But I don't really eat red meat, and I ALWAYS have ground turkey in my freezer...so why not use that? Turkey meat can have so much flavor, especially on the grill! And who says that your Husband is the only one to "man the grill"?
So give this "burger and fries" a try, I guarantee, you wont even miss the beef!
Turkey Burgers and Crispy Fries
Grocery List:
Olive oil cooking spray
2 baking potatoes scrubbed, cut in 3/4-in.-thick wedges
1 sweet potato, scrubbed, cut in 3/4-in.-thick wedges
3/4 tsp plus 1/2 tsp salt
2 slices white sandwich bread
1/4 cup fat-free milk
12 oz lean ground turkey
3 links sweet or hot lean Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
1/4 tsp pepper
4 hamburger buns
Serve burgers with: lettuce and sliced tomato and red onion
How to make it:
1. Heat oven to 500°F.
Position racks to divide oven in thirds.
Heat outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan.
Coat 2 rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.

2. Divide potatoes between baking sheets.
Coat with cooking spray; sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt.
Toss until evenly coated, then spread in a single layer.

3. Bake 30 minutes, switching position of pans and turning potatoes over halfway through baking, until tender and golden.

4. Meanwhile tear bread in small pieces into a medium bowl.
Pour milk over bread; let soak about 1 minute.
Add ground turkey, turkey sausage, pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
Mix with hands until blended.
Divide in quarters. With wet hands, shape each portion into a 1-in.-thick patty.

5. Coat patties with cooking spray and grill 12 to 14 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. Serve in buns (with lettuce, tomato and onion if desired) with the fries.
Nutritional Information:
4 servings
536 cal.
9g. fat
6g. fiber
11 WW points (remember, this is for a burger AND fries!)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Question...lastnight I was going to make chili with ground turkey ...I pulled some turkey out of the freezer from Oct. of '07. Once it was defrosted it smelled funny to me. I don't know if it was just because it's turkey or if it had gone bad. What are the rules on ground turkey? Do you just go by your nose? Should it have a smell or not? I ended up tossing it because I wasn't sure.

Thanks Chef,
Kate