Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mother's Day: Turkey and Tomato Tarts with Asparagus Soup

So, Mother's day is Quickly Approaching, and I know that a lot of you are stressing already over what to serve that special woman in your life! I am so lucky, because I really have two moms! My Mom, Terry, who is now my best friend, and business partner, I just love you Mom! And my sister, Brittany, who took over when my dad died and helped my mom by watching me when mom was at work, or after school. I wouldn't be the person I am today without either of them. It's still a little weird for me to celebrate Mother's day as a mom myself, but I think that Mother's day should be for Mom's, sisters, aunts, grandmother's, best friends, mentors, teachers....anyone who is a woman figure in your life that molds you to who you are!

Turkey and Tomato Tarts with Asparagus Soup
Grocery List:
Soup
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
1 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion
1 small potato, peeled, cut in 1-in. chunks
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 lb), tough ends trimmed, spears cut in quarters
Tarts
2 slices flat bread or pocketless pitas
1⁄4 cup lite garlic & herbs spreadable cheese
8 slices (4 oz) deli-thin sliced smoked turkey
3 plum tomatoes, sliced
1⁄4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1⁄4 cup basil leaves


How to make it:
1. Heat oven to 425°F. Have a baking sheet ready.

2. Soup: Bring all ingredients except asparagus to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until potato is almost tender. Add asparagus; cook 5 minutes until asparagus and potato are tender. Set aside 10 minutes to cool slightly.

3. Meanwhile, make Tarts: Place flat breads on baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes, or until slightly crisp. Remove from oven; spread each with 2 Tbsp cheese spread. Top each with 4 slices turkey, folded to fit, and 1⁄2 the sliced tomato, onion and basil. Cut each into 4 wedges.

4. Purée soup in blender until smooth. Accompany each serving with 2 wedges tart.

**The soup can be made up to 3 days ahead. Reheat, or serve chilled.

Nutritional Information:
(makes 4 servings)
264cal
7g fat
3g fiber
5 WW points

No comments: