Thursday, July 10, 2008

Easy Dinners: Not your mom's pasta salad


This weekend is going to be so fun! My church is hosting picnics all over the city and my sister invited us to the one in her neighborhood! So all I have to do is bring a dish......................well, I wasn't quite sure what to make! Potato Salad? Nope, it has mayo and its going to be 200 degrees outside, I don't want to poison anyone. Cookies? Nope, my sister is taking those! Then it donned on me to make a pasta salad! So I found one that I just know is going to be awesome, not poison anyone, and I don't think anyone else will be bringing it!

And I know the nutritional information on it is a little high, but that's if you eat a WHOLE serving, which is one of four portions. I don't think I will be eating QUITE that much.....but we shall see! hehe

Not your mom's pasta salad
Grocery List:
1 large ripe tomato, cut bite-size
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced pepper, preferably yellow or red
1⁄3 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette dressing
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen cheese tortellini
4 cups fresh broccoli florets (1⁄2 a 16-oz bag)
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 bag (5 oz) spring lettuce mixture
4 oz smoked or regular mozzarella cheese, cut in small cubes (1 cup)

**Serve with: extra balsamic vinaigrette dressing (optional)

How to make it:
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, combine tomato, onion, pepper and dressing in a large bowl. Leave at room temperature.

2. Add tortellini to boiling water; cook as package directs, adding broccoli to pot 5 minutes before tortellini will be done.

3. Drain; rinse under running cold water. Add to tomato mixture; add basil and toss to mix.

4. To serve: Arrange 1 cup lettuce on each of 4 plates. Top with tortellini mixture and mozzarella. Serve extra dressing on the side.

Nutritional Information:
(makes 4 servings)
547cal
21g fat
7g fiber
12 WW points

No comments: