Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cooking with Kids: Chicken Fingers with Smashed Potatoes and Peas

So I know that every time I feature a cooking with kid's segment, it has to do with Chicken Fingers! But come on.......tell me your kids don't go gaga for Chicken Fingers! And there are lots of different ways to prepare them!

Now, the side dish is something I used to do all the time when I was a kid. I think it had something to do with that scene in Rhinestone Cowboy, when Dolly Parton tells Sly Stallone to mix his peas with his mashed potatoes! lol


Chicken Fingers with Smashed Potatoes and Peas
Grocery List:
5 medium red-skin potatoes (1-1/4 lb), cut in quarters
1 box frozen baby sweet peas
2 pkg fully cooked, breaded chicken breast tenderloins
1/2 cup bottled marinara sauce
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

How to make it:
1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Have a rimmed baking sheet ready.

2. Put potatoes in a large saucepan with lightly salted water to cover by about 2 in. Cover and bring to a boil. Add peas and simmer 18 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender

3. Meanwhile place chicken in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 9 to 11 minutes until heated through. Heat marinara sauce in a small saucepan or microwave.

4. Drain potatoes, return to large saucepan and add sour cream, salt and pepper.
Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Serve with chicken; accompany chicken with marinara sauce (Let your kids help you with the masher, they will LOVE this part!)

Nutritional Information:
Serves 4
444cal.
10g fat
5g fiber
9 WW points

3 comments:

Our Adventures As A Family of 4.... said...

Good recipe! I'm going to keep this one for when our kids come home - we are in the adoption process to foster to adopt, so looking for kid friendly recipes.

Hey what is your take on the Sneaky Chef and the Jessica Seinfeld cookbooks for adding vegetables to different foods?

Molly

Our Adventures As A Family of 4.... said...

And.......speaking of chicken tenders how about a good recipe for oven fried chicken?? I have a hubby here who loves fried chicken and I hate the mess of it and want to find a good oven fried chicken recipe.

Thanks Gourmet Momma. :-)

Molly

Anonymous said...

Hey Molly, I love the sneaky chef and deceptivly delicious (you have GOT to try the brownies!) In fact, they are main staples in our house because I have a VERY picky 6 year old! (And SUPER congrats on the adoption!)

I will post a good oven fried chicken recipe for you, no problem! Its one of my faves as well!

--the Gourmet Momma